Be. Love.

Be. Love.
A Gal Riding the Waves

Saturday, April 17, 2010

What a wonderful world without the Stuff

Good Friday night! I missed blogging last night because of technical difficulties. However, the good part is that I got to spend time at my cousin's home with her family, including my precious little cousins and Godbaby. :-)

What a week this has been! Very glad to say I'm slowly stomping out my allergy monsters -- watery eyes, sandpaper-like throat, asthma. I predict by May, I'll be breathing nice and easy with no major allergy woes!
I hope everyone is managing well during this lovely yet sneeze-inducing season. :-)

So, lately I've been imagining being on a beach and near the ocean, even more than usual. As you know, I simply relish in warmth and the beauty of nature (minus the mosquitos, :-)). What really hit me, big time, yesterday was that in this country and probably especially in NYC, we are surrounded by STUFF. I was strolling the streets of the Bronx, on my way to my destination, when I noticed how every single inch seemed to be overflowing with products for sale - clothes, containers, cds, shoes, appliances, sunglasses, toilet paper - just never-ending stuff. I felt crammed by rows of "things." I realized there are so many ways to spend and/or waste a dollar. Everybody is selling something. I am amazed that so many of these stores can survive. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the variety of stuff this great city offers. The diversity is great. The entreprenuerialism is terrific. However, as I walked past dollar store after dollar store-like store, I craved a clean, bare, natural piece of space, even more intensely. Nature, just plain ol' green grass, trees, a little dirt, some ladybugs, a caterpillar.


I embrace the simple things even more after my stuff overload. I am so glad there are places in America, and even a few in this wonderful city, to get away from the stuff. Yay, for the glorious parks where I can simply lie in the middle of a big field of grass and take in the big blue sky. It's quite delightful to walk barefoot in the grass and feel the earth. Ahhhh!
If you live in a smaller town, cherish the breathing space you may have just outside your door, like your backyard. :-). If you live in the fantabulous Big Apple, we can at least indulge ourselves in the great parks~ Central Park in Manhattan, Prospect Park (Brooklyn), Botanical Gardens (Bronx) and I'm sure much more I've yet to discover---regarding the natural side of the city.


Cheers to the simple things in life! Wishing you a weekend of smiles and good vibes. Tag, you're it!

1 comment:

  1. Yes my dear, the inner city is filled with dollar stores and crammed with storefronts which sell every and anything. It seems like as fast as they go up another is taken down. This is why the people who live in these communities can never rise above poverty, it is also alarming how when I lived in my beautiful urban inner city neighborhood of both Crown Heights and Flatbush how there was a Korean market ON EVERY BLOCK, selling fresh veggies and fruits, but here in the South Bronx all you find are bodegas, Africans selling CD's or $$$1 stores. I totally agreee and cant wait 2 get my kids outta here and into some more serenity! Luv ya, thanx

    ReplyDelete