Be. Love.

Be. Love.
A Gal Riding the Waves

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Do you see what I see?

It's Friday, yay! Well actually it's almost Saturday. It's been a worthwhile week! I learned a little more, I gave a little more, and I laughed a little more. :-)

The past few years I've been really understanding perception more and more. How we view things really makes all the difference. It's really a key to riding the waves of life. If we can see the bigger picture when so many things seem to be trying to run away with our joy, we can surf those waves with a smile.
Oprah has often mentioned (on her show) that Maya Angelou always told her to be grateful even in the storm. I never really "got" how on earth I could be thankful while my heart was aching after being broken in a thousand pieces, or after I didn't get the job I thought I so wanted, or after I lost my favorite scarf or whatever. During these unpleasant moments, the last thing on my mind was to say thank you (God). Then, something happened, I don't remember exactly what it was. I just know I was constantly praying and reading inspirational books and journaling, and one day in the last year or so, I was able to genuinely be grateful in all things. I started with the little things, like after I'd hit my elbow on the edge of the door (yes, I'm clumsy and this happens often :-)) and it hurt like heckola--I'd scream, but then I'd say thank you God. lol. I literally starting saying thank you in the midst of trials. The fact is when I step back out of the moment of frustration or despair and change my view, I can see things clearer and in a more positive light.....Saying thank you began to be like putting things into a bigger view. A view where I can see my way through and stay in the light. When I am living in the light I can see my way through the dark times and keep on dancing my way through life --not staying stuck too long in the lows.


Speaking of perception, I'm always amazed when I learn how someone sees me. How I see myself and how you see me are many times totally different. Do you see what I see? I'm so glad to be at the point where I do not define myself by what someone says or does to me. I am grateful that I now see myself as the wonderful, silly, creative, being God made me to be. lol I am human, though, and of course it is pretty delightful when I'm having an ordinary day and someone says -- "you are everything I envision a sophisticated, hip, beautiful young new york woman to be." Wow, now that was totally unexpected and really neat to hear. I appreciate that. I know that when I'm feeling good about myself it's easier for others to do it. :-)

Anyhoo, I was wondering do you see what I see? How do you view yourself?

Insist on yourself, never imitate.-Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 comments:

  1. I am going through the same awakening! What matters most to me about me is that I can see "me" clearer and clearer when I pay attention to how I'm feeling, what is going on around me that makes me either laugh, cry or fume with frustration then get myself in check not to reflect it on my kids. They are my best reality check. Even when they are not around and I can still fine tune my emotions. I am grateful for that clarity. No one can see it clearer than me.

    Thank you for asking the question I wanted to share the answer since I began my awakening journey! You rock!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm,,

    I had to read your post several times, just to get your train of thought. It was a nice experience. Thought provoking. I dig your flow.

    Very cool, how you have come to conceptualize prospection as well as perspective. You relate it well to loss, pain, suffering and weathering the storm.

    When you speak about moving from the dark to the light,, I can see each footprint.
    This sounds like the "Eureka" moment. The AhHaa! I got it moment.

    Life can be hard, but living is beautiful. (thats me)

    To paraphrase: "Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is Alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange." (thats not me)

    I wonder how intense these "trials" are.

    Remember that its easy to accept the compliments for the periphery. From people that dont really know you.

    Just focus on understanding yourself.

    ReplyDelete