Be. Love.

Be. Love.
A Gal Riding the Waves

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

She's smiling from heaven

Wow. I finally took the time to create my own blog. Yay! Life is so wondrous. Constant lessons and sprinkles of joy. You can feel a hundred feelings in 24 hours. Today my mom called early afternoon to chat and to tell me that great grandma Susie passed away last night. She died on Easter. Grandma Susie is my maternal grandmother's mom. She lived 95 years.

As my mom told me of her passing I suddenly recalled my childhood visits to Statesboro, Georgia, (the "country" as we all called it), where grandma Susie was born and lived much of her life. (She also lived in Rochester, NY during the prime of her life and returned to Statesboro to live the last phase of her life). She always welcomed us with lots of hugs and a tall glass of the sweetest iced tea ever. I remember her big smile, her infectious laugh, her feisty wit, and her unforgettable "hey babys" which she called all her grandchildren.Today, I was reminded of how independent and self-reliant my great grandmother was. She chose to put herself in a nursing home (more like a senior apartment living community) a few years ago as opposed to living with my grandmother or anyone, because she loved being on her own. Today, I am inspired by grandma Susie to live on my own terms. ~Love. Learn. Give. Live.Today, I feel proud to know I come from a line of strong women. My grandma Susie lived a long, good life on her own terms. I honor her life. I am a representation of her wit, love, and spunk.I continue to learn more about her. The more I learn the more blessed I feel!
Thanks for making me smile. I love you grandma Susie. You will live in my heart forever.

5 comments:

  1. Hey SL, congrats on your new blog!! I am looking forward to your daily musings, thoughts and epiphanies. You are absolutely a tribute to your ancestors, remember that as you live your life day to day. bbp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the blog! It's beautiful!

    And may great grandma Susie rest in peace. She sounds like she was a wonderful, strong woman - and you are a wonderful, strong woman as well!

    I look forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your blog. Just a note on the color choice, it was difficult for me to read the pink letters on the brown background. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed your reading your thoughts and feelings. Again, my condolences to your great grandmother and family.

    I love you,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!!!
    Thank you SO MUCH for commenting and reading my first post. I'm still tweaking as you can see.
    So funny, I love pink but I didn't choose this for my font color. So let me figure out how to change this crazy hot pink text color.
    Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 04/07/2010

    Hi Cousin! Congratulations on your new blog! Thanks for posting this about Grandma Susie. It really made me smile/laugh/tear up as I was reading it. Those sure were some "good ol' times" back in the "-boro" (aka Gnat Country). But we were young and had good times. It is nice to reminisce, especially when the memories are good ones like this! RIP - Grandma Susie! You will be missed!

    Love, Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete