Be. Love.

Be. Love.
A Gal Riding the Waves

Friday, April 9, 2010

I Can You Can ~ Lean Green

Happy Thursday Evening!
Ok, before I go into my thought for today, I have to say it's really cool hearing my hometown's name so much in the news this week--Augusta, Ga. Home of the Masters and James Brown! lol. I know the Masters Golf Tournament has been around since 1934, but hearing Augusta so much lately in national news is neat. I remember working at the Masters during Spring Break senior year of high school. Totally fun! No idea which golfers were playing, but it was still very exciting for a Georgia gal.

Ahhhhh, so it's Earth Month. Yes, I know we all know about Earth Day, which is April 22. However, as of this year April is Earth Month. At least from what I've been reading. I have to admit I didn't even know until today that Earth Day is gonna be the big 4-0 this year. Wow!!! In honor of Earth Month and because I am wanting to be more conscious in all aspects of my life, I want to lean green. I say lean green as opposed to go green because I'm no where near the point of being totally organic/eco-friendly/etc. yet. 
So I found five things I plan to do in my efforts to lean green. Are you with me? If I can YOU can.:-)

Here we go:
  • Let's talk water. We are so privileged in this country to have easy access to clean water. I know I must wash my hands about 10 times a day, and let's not even mention how much we drink and use for cooking. It frustrates me to know that so many in underdeveloped countries don't have this necessity. Clean water is a gift. I want to use it more wisely. I've learned that taking shorter showers can make a real difference. If everyone across the country shortened her/his shower by one minute we could save nearly 12 billion gallons of water a year.**The average shower is 8 mins. using approx. 2.5 gallons of water per  min.
  • Another way to save water-- using the dishwasher versus hand washing dishes. Saves half as much water. Now, I'm not a fan of dishwashers. I'm one of those rare women who prefers doing dishes over most other chores ;-). But, to save more water I'll wash less dishes.
  • What about all the water bottles I use? I sure could help the environment by investing in a stainless steel, reusable, and healthy water bottle. I pass them all the time in Whole Foods and then look at the price (@$29.99) and I just can't bring myself to buy it. However, it would really make more sense to just buy one. I found a more economical one that I'm digging. I promise to ditch the plastic water bottles asap.
  • Toxins are all around us--even when we're cleaning! I remember watching Kirstie Alley on Oprah last year talking about her passion for cleaning and how she uses vodka to get things sweaky clean. Vodka is actually less toxic than many of the chemicals we use. Check out thedailygreen.com for other interesting uses for the spirituous beverage.
  • And finally walking, biking, anything to save energy and to burn calories and just breathe and smell the sunflowers! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Until manana, be kind to you for me!

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant.
    I loved the flow of your thoughts today.

    Augusta, GA: The kindest people I have ever encountered in my life.

    Go Green!: your plan for going green is very refreshing,, "lean" green. We do what we can. No pressure, no expectations. Do what you can.

    7 yrs ago I stated that the next World War will not be over oil, but water. The thing is, any effort to avert it will fail. The planet cant contain its population.

    So Trimette, have that slice of cake. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Thanks Xaviar.

    And I completely agree with you regarding the future wars over water. We can see the struggle for water playing a role in the politics of some Asian and African countries today. Even several U.S. states have had court battles of "water rights."

    However, as much I would like to start eating dessert every day for breakfast :-), we cannot live life as if there is no tomorrow. As Denice has eloquently pointed out, we as individuals do have some control over this situation, and we can take steps to conserve water and be green. The future is in our hands.

    ReplyDelete