Be. Love.

Be. Love.
A Gal Riding the Waves

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A daughter's view

Welcome to Wednesday! Is your week going great? So far so good my way. Keep smiling no matter what. :-)
So, I'm reading this excellent book by Lisa and Laura Ling, Somewhere Inside. I'm totally captivated by the strong sisterly bond these women had and maintained during Laura's "imprisonment" in North Korea. It's a beautifully written book because it goes back and forth with each sister relating her story, beginning with childhood, to their parents marriage-divorce, to Laura's terrifying yet fascinating experience in North Korea. I am really enjoying the read!

I just read a part of the book that talks about Lisa and Laura's relationship with their father. Their parents divorced when they were very young, 3 and 7. I can truly relate to their experience because my parents divorced when  I was 4 yrs. old. I barely remember them together. However, what I do remember is my dad's ever-enduring love for my brother and I no matter how far apart we may have been. He made sure to call us often and we got to spend the summers with him. I was so very excited the first time Carl (my brother) and I got to fly to NY to spend time with my dad. I was 9. Carl was 7. We flew Delta and were chaperoned by a stewardess (they weren't being referred to as flight attendants yet) :-). She'd check on us frequently and always gave us Delta playing cards. It was so cool. I adored my dad and I was in awe of NYC! I was a Georgia gal, you know, at the time.

The first summer with my dad was overwhelmingly fun and there was so much to take in. I was meeting my stepmother and new baby sister for the first time. I was also meeting a man who became an essential part of my life, my stepgrandfather, Mr. Heath. Carl and I spend a tremendous amount of time at Mr. Heath's home. We felt nothing but love from my stepmother and her father. It was truly a blessing! My dad made our time together very worthwhile. He took us to the beach, Great Adventure, Broadway plays, Chinatown and even allowed us to go with him on his route (he was a mailman at the time) to deliver mail. I was a happy gal. However, I think what I valued the most was those times dad and I would be in a store or just walking around and he'd hold my hand. Sounds simple. Yet it made my day. I didn't see him every day, so those two months together were extremely precious to me. I think of those times often.... :-)

We often hear how important it is for boys to have a father in their lives. A man to guide them and teach them how to be a man. That's certainly true. But, the girls so need their fathers too. A father is a girl's first love. He dictates so much of what she'll accept from men as an adult. A father's presence, love, caring, and affection towards his daughter fuels her self-esteem. It's vital to a girl.

I salute all the dads out there who spend quality time with their sons and daughters. We need you. We love you. You make us who we are. You are a piece of the (family) puzzle that we so desperately need to strengthen and honor and uplift.
Three wonderful men in my life: my uncle Dane, Mr. Heath and daddy.

Everyone have a delightful day! Sending good feelings your way. Tag you're it!



2 comments:

  1. WOW! I am extremely touched by your story of your childhood and the growth you have made in becoming such an awesome woman. You expressed this so tenderly that it made me cry. I agree that fathers play a profound role in shaping their daughters outlook on themselves as well as others. And I believe that transcends any other inadequacies that exist. You have a group of really great men in your life. That's one handsome group too :-)
    I love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much Sandra. It means alot to read what you wrote. I love you too!

    ReplyDelete