Be. Love.

Be. Love.
A Gal Riding the Waves

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

How Fragile We Are

Hello and welcome to a new day. We are here! This may sound silly, but I’m believing that means something. J Today is a blessing! Yet I admit sometimes, I don’t see that so vividly. So, while I am totally well and ticking, I want to say to you, thank you for being YOU and you matter! Be kind to you for me. J 


My heart ached this past weekend, and I’m sure I wasn’t alone, over the loss of Whitney Houston. To say the least, I was crushed to hear the tragic news of her passing. Despite knowing of her troubled past years, I really believed she was on the path to peace—here on earth. She was like a big sister or auntie in my head. So many sweet memories of my childhood/teenage/young adult years are set to the soundtrack of a Whitney Houston song. I adored her. I loved pretending to be her as I belted out lyrics like “ohhh, I wanna dance with somebody,” with hairbrush in hand in front of the mirror. And I loved watching her concerts on TV. There was one where she wore a funky, brown leather jacket as she sang Didn’t We Almost Have it All and she moved the depths of my soul.  As she sang I sang, with all the feeling and emotion a 13 year old could conjure up.  Then, came college and her rendition of I’m Every Woman was my theme song throughout those 4 crazy, wonderful, exciting years of my life. I loved that song so much; I put it on my answering machine. I just got so happy when I heard that particular song! The video is still one of my all-time favorites. Whitney was glowing in that video, pregnant and overflowing with joy. It makes me smile every time I watch. That’s the Whitney, I’ll always remember.  I even produced a memory video the first semester of my senior year in college, and at the end of my “walk down memory lane” I have a karaoke moment singing Whitney’s Love Will Save the Day. I have that on VHS tape. It’s rather hilarious!J
I guess what I’m intending to say here is that I am grateful for the gift of Whitney. I am grateful she shared her gift with us. I am grateful that whenever I hear her divine voice singing the Star Spangled Banner, or Nothing or the Greatest Love of All or Shoop Shoop, I am transported back to precious parts of my life. And because of that, I feel like she was a part of my life. And that’s why I cried like I lost an old pal when I heard the news.
I mourn her death and I celebrate her life. I am sad that she is gone. My heart hurts for her mom, her daughter, and for everyone who truly knew her. I still get chills listening to reports of her being gone and I have to bite my cheeks not to cry when I hear the first note of I’m Every Woman….Yet, I am grateful that she is at peace now. She was a songbird, lovely and fragile. Her passing reminds me that we all are so very fragile. We are human. We hurt. We yearn to be loved and to find and maintain peace on our journey.  We need each other like we need water. <3
Farewell dear Whitney, may your spirit soar as high as the sun and sparkle as bright as the stars. You will never be forgotten.

Lyrics to one of my all-time favorite Whitney songs, Love Will Save the Day:
Sometimes life can make you crazy
It can really put your body to the test
You try so hard to make sure everything goes right
And you find you've only wound up with a mess
It's a common situation
Even though you feel abandoned and alone
Child, you ain't the first to experience the hurt
So don't panic when you hit the danger zone

What you need's a little change of heart
Forget this fear and frustration
Love will always play the greater part
When your battles wear you down
Here's my advice -
When you're feeling down and out
And you've got troubles on you mind
Love will save the day
When you're feeling full of doubt
And fear has got you in a bind
Love will save the day
When your worlds falling apart
All you have to do is say a prayer
And love will save the day
There's an answer in your heart
So let your light shine on my dear
And love will save the day
Love will save the day [X4]

Many things in this world bring you down
It's a wonder you can make it through the day
Well, you can't sleep cause your problems are to deep
And there's always something getting in the way
And when you turn on the evening news
Mass confusion is the only thing you see
Well there's no question that we need a new direction
Cause we all could use some peace and harmony

Love is gonna save the day
You've gotta believe it


Sending love, peace and comfort your way. Tag you’re it!





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for those expressions, Cheryl. You are absolutely right about the universal effect of Whitney's death. She set a bar that is timeless. I just had to pause, because I felt a choke of sadness coming. That cliche is true: You don't know what you've got until it's gone. A part of the formative years that I got to share with you, old friend, has departed. I share your bereavement.

    ReplyDelete