Be. Love.

Be. Love.
A Gal Riding the Waves

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Not because I love you..because I LIKE you :-)

Hello and welcome to APRIL! It's been too long since my last posting. Please forgive me. I've been in full-speed, coloring the pages of the new chapter of my life. The stress has simmered down, and now I'm feeling really excited!

 So much has happened since I last shared. I'm not only getting married. I'm moving! Leaving the place I dreamed of, as a little girl, NYC. Yes, I imagined living in New York, New York as a child. And I am so happy I got to fulfill that dream. I didn't become a famous actress, but I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. In fact, I've spent my entire adult life in New York. It's been wild, crazy, exhilarating, fun, and an adventure more days than you would think. I'll blog more about that later. ;-)

Right now, I wanted to share how I've been feeling the last two weeks. The word that comes to mind is awe. I'm actually amazed at how kind people seem to become when they find out you're getting married. I can't tell you how many times I've been told to enjoy "this special time" in my life. After about the 4th time, I think it started to really sink in. I've been recalling the last 4 months and it IS a really extraordinary time. Even amidst the planning, anticipating, packing, resigning, emotions, and all. One of the elements that makes this time so beautiful is that it is one of the few times in life when people want to shower you with blessings and good wishes and all that is wonderful. It's priceless!

Words are incredible. To be told by someone what they've thought of you all along, or think of you now and what they wish for your life, -- that's tremendously moving. I've felt this so many times in the last few weeks.

I resigned last week. I was a little nervous, I must admit. Though, totally ready and thrilled at the same time. After 8 1/2 years, I went into my supervisor's office to say, "the time has come..." Yes, that's exactly how I started it off. As soon as the words left my lips, I felt relieved and as if I took the first leap into the next phase of my "living.". And I do believe the net is appearing (as the saying goes). My boss said she was SO happy for me, but sad for herself. Sad to lose someone she considered a friend, as well as a colleague. She also said she hoped I considered her a friend, as well.  But, what deeply touched my heart, was her response to me after I asked if she'd be a reference for me. I was surprised to hear, "Deniceeee, of course I will. I'd adopt you as my daughter if I could." And me being me...couldn't stop the tears from falling after that. What a sweet thing to say! I am grateful. That was just the beginning of my colleagues, my supervisor and others that I've work with for the last 8 years expressing what they think of me personally and professionally. I'll take those positive words with me as I walk into my next roles (in this journey).

And so it is that in all of this, I kept thinking of this precious scene from The Cosby Show. (click the link below to watch) :-) The scene is with Denise (daughter) and Claire (mother). Claire says a few wise words to her 2nd born daughter Denise about college & life. Finally, Claire says, "I want you to know I'm gonna miss you," then she pauses for a split second and continues her thought, "not because I love you, but because I like you." Wow. How totally wonderfully beautiful!! The first 10 times I watched that scene, I cried. It's just pure sunshine to know that you are not only loved, but liked. And you know what, that's what I'm feeling right now in my life. Ahhhhhhhhhh. I'll keep this feeling in my heart always. :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6bP4GV3qgs&feature=related

Sending awe-some-ness your way. Tag you're it!

3 comments:

  1. I loved that scene in the Cosby Show too!

    You are definitely a very likeable person :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically, I recall your affinity for NYC in school, Cheryl. What impresses me is how you migrated and assimilated into the city as you yearned to do. Keep your joie de vivre on your next move, pal:)

    ReplyDelete